Cushions are a delightful addition to any home, adding comfort and style to your living spaces. However, achieving that perfect cushion look is more than just choosing the right covers or designs. Selecting the appropriate cushion inner size is equally important to ensure your cushions look plump, feel comfortable, and maintain their shape over time. In this guide, we'll explore what size cushion insert you should buy and how to ensure it fits perfectly.
What Size Of Insert Should You Get For Your Cushion?
Matching the cushion cover sizes and inner seems logical, but in most cases, this will look saggy and loosely fitted. Instead, a general rule of thumb is to opt for a cushion inner 1-2 inches larger than the cushion cover. This strategy helps achieve a plump appearance and ensures the cushion is appropriately filled and comfortable.
Here are some standard cushion inner sizes:
- 12x12 inches: If your cushion measures 12x12 inches, it is recommended to use a cushion inner that is 14x14 inches. These smaller cushions are often employed for decorative purposes or on smaller pieces of furniture.
- 18x18 inches: This is a widely favoured size for standard throw cushions, suitable for placement on sofas, armchairs, and beds. If your cushion measures 18x18 inches, consider using a cushion inner that is 20x20 inches.
- 20x20 inches: Slightly larger than the 18x18 cushions, these cushions provide a fuller appearance and are versatile enough to serve as backrest cushions or even floor cushions. If your cushion measures 20x20 inches, an appropriate inner size would be 22x22 inches.
- Custom-Made Options: If you have cushions in unique sizes or shapes, consider getting custom-made cushion inners to ensure a perfect fit.
- Euro Pillow Sizes: Euro pillows are square cushions with sizes typically starting at 24x24 inches and going up to 28x28 inches or larger. These are often used as decorative pillows on beds.
How Do You Measure A Cushion Cover?
Accurate measurements are crucial to finding the right cushion inner. Ill-fitting inners can lead to discomfort and affect the aesthetic appeal of your cushions.
- Length and Width: Measure the length and width of your cushion cover from seam to seam. Ensure the cover is flat and taut during measurement.
- Depth or Thickness: Measure the depth or thickness of the cushion cover. This measurement is essential for selecting an appropriately filled cushion inner.
How To Match Cushion Inner To Cover?
- Choosing The Right Size: Aesthetics
Selecting the right size cushion is about comfort and aesthetics. A well-fitted cushion inner ensures your cushions look plump and inviting. An inner that's too small can make your cushions appear deflated and unattractive.
- Choosing The Right Size: Comfort
Comfort is paramount when it comes to cushions. A properly sized cushion inner ensures that your cushions provide the right level of support and cosiness. Oversized inners can make cushions overly firm, while undersized ones may not provide adequate support.
Common Mistakes To Avoid Matching Cushion Inner To Cover
- Using the same size: As mentioned earlier, using the same size cushion inner as your cover can lead to a saggy appearance.
- Guessing the size: Guessing the size of the cushion inner is risky and can result in ill-fitting cushions. Always measure accurately.
How Often Should You Replace Your Cushion Inners?
The lifespan of cushion inners can vary depending on usage and quality. As a general guideline, consider replacing your cushion inners every 1-2 years if they lose shape or support. High-quality inners may last longer with proper care.
Selecting the right cushion inner size is essential for both aesthetics and comfort. Remember the 1-2 inch rule, accurately measure your cushion covers, and consider the purpose of your cushions when choosing their inner size. Avoid common mistakes, and you'll enjoy plump, comfortable cushions that enhance the beauty and cosiness of your home.
Can I Use a Smaller Inner for a Tighter Fit?
Using a smaller inner is not recommended, as it can result in a saggy appearance and discomfort. Following the 1-2 inch rule is better for a well-fitted and comfortable cushion.
What's the Difference Between Euro Pillows and Standard Sizes?
Euro pillows are square cushions typically used for decorative purposes, especially on beds. They come in larger sizes, starting at 24x24 inches, while standard cushion sizes like 18x18 inches are more commonly used for seating.
Do I Need to Fluff Foam Cushion Inners?
Foam cushion inners may require occasional fluffing to maintain their shape and comfort. Give them a good shake and pat to redistribute the filling and plump them up when needed.